April is going to be a huge month for our church!
- On April 22nd, at our Vision Focus Evening, we will be announcing the new name for our church, along with a new mission statement and a new vision statement (6.30pm at the Coign Church Building!)
- In mid-April we intend to put in the planning application for our new building
- At the end of April we will have the first of three Gift Sundays to fund the new building project
I feel like I’m at the top of a rollercoaster and it’s about to get very fast and very exciting! We’ve been climbing the slope together for a while now, and now it’s time to ‘go’.
The building project is key to our future together
To help communicate well with everyone, we’ve prepared a brochure which we’ve been giving out on Sundays (do ask if you want a copy – we can give one to you directly or post you one).
It looks like this:
The brochure contains lots of information about what we are doing, why we are doing it and what we hope to achieve.
It also contains information about the part we can each play to see this done
Standing on the shoulders of giants
As a church we are so privileged to have the land and the building we currently have, right at the heart of Woking Town Centre. We are reaping the benefits of the faith of a previous generation (some of whom are very much still with us!)
Now it’s time for us to step out in faith as others before us have done.
The first picture here shows an aerial view of the town centre, around 1930, and in the centre is our original building in Percy Street. The second picture shows our current building:
Why are we making these changes?
The building we have is not big enough for us and does not suit our purposes today – that’s why we meet elsewhere on a Sunday. It’s also in need of some work to bring it up to date. God is blessing our church, and we need a good building to do all God us calling us to do together.
What do we want to build?
Everyone has had the chance to see our plans and to comment on them, but in case you missed it: our plan is to create a new 675 seater hall at the back of our current site and to repurpose the current building to serve our kids work, our youth work, and our community. It will also host our offices.
This will give us several things:
- A useable Sunday venue (no more 6.30am set up!)
- A place to call home that will serve our church, with rooms for children’s work and youth work, crèche, offices, rooms for community use and more
- A place from which to serve the community, in all sorts of ways
- A place that will be a blessing to local residents; an oasis in a busy area of town
- A family home for our church in which we can grow and serve together
Ultimately we’re doing this to bring glory to God
This is about mission; this is about the Great Commission; this is about connecting with our town; this is about the gospel; this is about being a blessing to Woking.
These pictures give an idea of what we are planning to achieve:
Our next steps
The planning application should be put in during early to mid-April. Of course, in a process like this, we obviously can’t wait for that to come back before we start seeking funding; we need to raise finance now in order to secure the full funding we need.
I’ve talked elsewhere (and in the brochure) about what this will all cost, and our target right now is to raise around one and a half million pounds … ideally by the autumn.
Let’s see what God will do as we step out in faith together.
We will be holding Gift Days as a church on:
- Sunday 29th April
- Sunday 6th May
- Sunday 13th May
The brochure contains information on lots of ways you can give to the building fund; some simple, some more complex. If you have any questions, please ask. We have also made a short video to explain what we are doing – you can watch that here:
The video should be visible above, if it’s not then please click here to view it.
There are three things we are now asking people to do:
- Read the brochure through – any questions, please ask!
- Pray for the planning permission to go through
- See what God is giving you faith to give, and then go for it in faith
These are exciting times for our church
Let’s step out in faith and let’s do something that will serve our church, serve this town and be a blessing to the generations that will follow us.
“Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” (Jesus – Luke 6v38)
“Remember this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly,
and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.
Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give,
not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”
(Paul – 2 Corinthians 9v6-7)