We’re now at the half-way stage with our building work at Welcome Church, and things are really starting to take shape. By July 1st we will need to move out of the existing building for 6 months while the work to redesign that is completed too.
There’s a lot planned to happen to our current building, including: an extension to create new offices, new professional quality kitchens, new toilet facilities, a new entrance, doors leading through to the new building, a new reception area, a redesign of the current room layout, removal of the old baptistry and stage, a new boiler and heating system, electrical work, decorating throughout, cladding to the outside, landscaping, fencing, gates … the building will be transformed!
This Sunday and next (9th and 16th June) we will hold our final Gift Days to finish off our giving for this project.
Our target over these two weeks is to raise £300,000.
The aim of these Gift Days is to close the small gap in the funding for our current plans, and also to cover the cost of a few additional items/opportunities that have come up along the way. Some extra costs include:
- Video: we would like to introduce video recording for our preaching, which will be key for our outreach and for reaching new places
- Sound: this is very important and, after many quotes, we now know that it will cost more than we budgeted for
- Folding doors: the folding doors we have need replacing and sound proofing is needed above them too
- Drains: we have a collapsed drain, and twice during recent alpha evenings another drain has backed up and flooded the kitchen
- Cladding: we want to clad more of the building than was originally planned
- Windows: some windows need replacing
- The Upper Room: a completely new room, above the new kids rooms in the current building. This room would have several uses: a prayer room, a place for people to meet with God, a place for pastoral and other meetings, a place for quiet study. It’s different, it’s stylish and we just need to fund it. 😃
More details about these extra’s, including the Upper Room is available by clicking here
We will also be giving away 10% of the money raised at these Gift Days to fund a Compassion Child Survival project in Togo, serving the poorest of the poor – you can see details of that by clicking here
Decisions to be made
If we raise the full amount we can do all of the work needed. If we raise less than our target we will need to make some key decisions fairly soon about what we leave out at this stage. I’m praying that we hit the target this time.
Let’s not be casual
Our target of £300,000 is lower than our targets for the previous Gift Days, but it’s still not a small amount; it will still require great faith and sacrifice from us all … especially since it comes on the back of the previous Gift Days!
So let’s not be casual about these two Sundays.
Please take them seriously. Please pray about them. Please seek God about what he is calling you to give. Please come prepared.
And please, let’s all step out in faith together:
“Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.
Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.”
2 Corinthians 9v6-8