Last night (Tuesday 4th Sept) I had the joy of sitting in the viewing gallery at Woking Borough Council as the Planning Committee gave their unanimous approval to our new building plans for Welcome Church.
This is going to be a huge blessing: to us as a church, to the local area and also to the town more widely. We are so grateful both to God and to Woking Council.
There were lots of positive comments made by councillors at the meeting …
- About the design: “This will provide a state of the art facility”
- About the process: “They have worked hard to consult the neighbours”
- About the impact: “This will be good for the town and the local area”
And there were also many positive comments made about us as a church, accompanied by positive comments about us coming to the end of a long road with this final (and “much appreciated”) application for development of our site.
We have a lot to be thankful for
Let’s remember to give thanks to God, and also to thank the planning officers and the councillors who gave their time and effort to consider our application.
And let’s remember what we heard on Sunday morning during the worship time: “God did not give us an amazing site in the middle of town so that we can stand still”. We have so much ahead of us to do as we serve the town where God has placed us; the best days are not behind us!
We now have some key steps to take:
- We need to finalise the finer points of the design
- We need to raise the rest of the finance
- We need to sign contracts with the developers
- We need to prepare ourselves … including putting some things in storage, throwing some things away, working out what it means for how we work and what’s in the diary during the building process
Early warning: one of the first things to go will be our current car park … but we will make sure to communicate well ahead of time.
We have done amazingly well with raising finance for this project so far. We now need to do the last bit, so there will be Gift Days for this on Sundays 4th and 18th November. Look out for information about that over the next few weeks, and do be praying and preparing your heart for what God may be leading you to do.
It’s actually a double celebration for Jo and I this week. Not only was planning permission granted, but we also passed our first anniversary at Welcome Church on Saturday (1st Sept).
Thanks for all the friendship, support and prayers along the way. We love this church and it’s a joy to be here with you.