On Sundays June 9th and 16th we will be having the final Gift Days for our New Building Project. We are going to give away a tithe (10%) of what we collect to a project working with the poorest of the poor … and the good news is that every gift we give to them on this occasion can be doubled!
As a church we are already sponsoring many children in Togo through Compassion UK, and it’s a country with a lot of needs. One of the big challenges is around infant mortality and health in pregnancy.
At present in Togo:
- 1 in 20 babies die before their first birthday … and most of these are from preventable causes
- 1 in 58 women also die
These are shocking statistics, and Compassion are working to change this though their Child Survival Projects (CSP). These CSP’s are run by local churches in Togo. They work with mothers throughout their pregnancy and for the first year of the child’s life to provide:
- Medical support
- Basic provisions – including safe water, hygiene kits and nutritious food
- Education – on how to care for a child – remembering that many of the mothers are little more than children themselves
- Skills training – to teach work skills that can help them earn a living
- Spiritual support and mentoring
These projects are so important that for a short while they are receiving matched funding from our UK Government.
Our donations to this vital work (before Gift Aid) will be matched, pound for pound, by the UK government
So what we give to them will be doubled
This means that if we hit our target of £300,000, and we pass £30,000 on to Compassion, it will be doubled to £60,000 – enough to fund a project for several years.
Jesus told us that he was sent to bring good news to the poor. Let’s join him in that mission as we come to our Gift Days.
If you have any questions, please do ask.