On Sunday (19th Jan 2020) Welcome Church marked the official launch of our brand new building in the heart of Woking. We were delighted to see so many people there to celebrate with us.
Just over 1,200 people attended across the two meetings, and this represents a new ‘high water mark’ for the church. We want to say a huge thank you to everyone who was there including friends old and new and, whether you were there or not, everyone is warmly invited to come and join us next Sunday at 9am or 11am.
So much to pack in
It was a fast paced morning:
- Our worship team kicked us off in brilliant style with some vibrant worship
- We then remembered some of our 140 year history of buildings, looking back at our journey so far and forward to our future vision
- We heard from Paul Ginever, the architect who designed the new building
- The Mayor of Woking, Councillor Beryl Hunwicks, spoke about the importance of community and working together
- At the 11am meeting Jonathan Lord MP, Member of Parliament for Woking, was present to share some very kind words of encouragement
- Then Steve Blow, the Finance Director for Compassion UK, presented Welcome Church with a display board to mark the support given to mothers and babies in Togo through our partnership with them
You can listen to that part of our meeting by clicking here.
This week also marked the start of our six week ‘Welcome Stories’ series. Many of us were deeply moved watching Mike’s Story, which showed the difference that Jesus has made to his life, helping him to get free from depression and more. You can watch his powerful story here:
This video should play, but if not please click here to view it via our church website
Towards the end of the meeting I talked about a question, the answer to which profoundly shapes our lives and daily actions:
“What do you think God is like?”
This talk was based on Jesus’ story of The Prodigal Son, and you can hear it by clicking here. For me, it was a morning to remember.
Please come again
I want to invite everyone who reads this to come and join us at Welcome Church over the next five weeks. We will be continuing our Welcome Stories series, and there will be another powerful Welcome Story video each Sunday.
Consider some fascinating facts about how, on average, we spend our lives…
- We sleep for over 20 years of our lives
- We watch TV for over 10 years of our lives
- We spend 5 years 9 months in some form of transportation
- We spend 7 ½ years eating and drinking
Why not spend 7 ½ hours over these next five weeks joining us for this Welcome Stories series? It will be a great way to brighten up these gloomy January and February Sunday mornings!
Finally, here are some photos from Sunday morning to enjoy: